[tlug] Networking problem

I'm having a bad networking day, again ...

The problem I am having is with "those people" that told me a class B hub
was causing my problems ;)

I'm forced to think that my machines are improperly configured but I can't
figure out where.

I have two set of servers on two different subnets. Inside a set the
machines are connected to each other with an infamous class B switching hub.

The hub then plugs into the data center's network via the cable they
provide. I'm told it's plugged into an L3 switch.

The problem I am seeing is the machines from one subnet get a really crappy
transfer speed when connected to machines on the other subnet. Using proFTP
and an 11MB file I see mximum speeds of  (8e+02 Kbytes/sec) or 6.4Mb/s on a
100Mb/s line.

If I do the same transfer between machines on the same subnet I get (1.1e+04
Kbytes/sec) or 88Mb/s.

I did a traceroute and the data came back ok, one hop to the DC switch and
one hope to the target machine on the other subnet. So it doesn't look like
a routing problem

To remove the hubs as a source of problems I plugged one machine from each
subnet straight into the data center network but still saw the same problem.

We even had someone go to an Internet cafe with a T1 line and check the
connection speeds. The results were strange in that connection to one subnet
was ok but connectiong tothe other was slow.

That would seem to indicate a problem in my networking configuration for the
machines on one subnet ... but I can see what it could be.

Can someone offer ideas as to what further tests I can do to isolate the
problem.

Here id the `route` outputs from one machine on each subnet in case it
helps.

This subnet is "ok" from the Internet cafe
[root@example.com]# route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface
211.120.56.96   *               255.255.255.224 U     0      0        0 eth0
127.0.0.0       *               255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0 lo
default         211.120.56.97   0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0

This subnet is "slow" from the Internet cafe
[root@example.com]# route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface
211.120.56.64   *               255.255.255.224 U     0      0        0 eth0
127.0.0.0       *               255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0 lo
default         211.120.56.67   0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0

Thanks for any suggestions!

Jc