Re: [tlug] Notebook Question

On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 07:30:12PM +0200, Godwin Stewart wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Sep 2002 01:48:21 +0900, Jonathan Q <jq@example.com> squashed
> this out of the keyboard:
>
> > OK, let me qualify that a bit.  All current notebook pointing
> > devices suck.

The new logitech optical mice for notebooks look pretty cool, but too
small for me. Im satisfied with the eraser pointer thingy on my Thinkpad,
although switch to an external optical mouse at home.

> > The things that suck the most are trackpads.

I hate em.

> Never been able to use the darn things!

Same here, but I find them less painful than trackpads.

> I have an Acer TravelMate 515TE which also had a Toshiba label slapped on it
> but I forget which one. The model is from 1999 IIRC.

Ive always been a fan of IBM notebooks and have the Thinkpad 240. It was
running Redhat 6.2 until I recently did a reinstall and put 7.3 on it.

Everything works great except for the onboard 56K winmodem which I don't
need anyway (it supposedly works using the binary module provided by
Lucent).

This TP has been thrown around violently more than once without
suffering any damage to the screen or any other parts and I have no
trouble typing on the keyboard, which is more than I can say about most
other notebooks' keyboards.

> > >A computer without Windows is like a chocolate cake
> > >without mustard

Why would anyone put Mu$tard on a chocolate cake? ;-)

> <quote>
> In most countries selling harmful things like drugs is punishable.
> Then how come people can sell Microsoft software and go unpunished?
>         -- Hasse Skrifvars, hasku@example.com,
> </quote>

Maybe because these drugs are addictive? Microsoft software has no such
properties.

- --
A. Sajjad Zaidi
System Administrator