Re: [tlug] Notebook Question

Jonathan Byrne writes:
 > QLI Tech sells iBooks, Powerbooks, and desktop Macs with
 > OS X plus your choice of SuSE PPC, Gentoo PPC, Debian PPC, or
 > Mandrake PPC.  The default is Gentoo(!).  Oddly, they don't
 > offer Yellow Dog as a choice, although it seems quite popular
 > with Mac users.
 >
 > If anyone out there is running Linux on Mac, which of
 > the above distros would you choose, and why?

For easy installation, I would say Mandrake PPC or Yellow Dog, with a
tendency to Mandrake. Mandrake was more up to date with the graphics
support, but Yellow Dog was also o.k.. SuSE had trouble with everything.
For easy upgrade I would say Debian. Both Mandrake and Yellow Dog had
some problems and SuSE will probably change everything when going to
8.0.
Staying with OSX is also ok, you just need to get X11 running and you
are set. It's a bit problematic when you have to download everything
from the net. Right now I tend to boot into Mandrake with my
Powerbook, OSX just doesn't feel completely comfortable, at least with
rootless X11. I don't like the configuration via mouse click and the
files are sometimes hard to find. NIS and autofs was a pain to set up.

Marcus

| mocm@example.com            | http://www.metzlerbros.de/        |