Re: [tlug] Notebook Question

On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 10:41:16PM +1000, Jim Breen wrote:

>Well today my wife came home to find a hole in the roof, the
>manhole into the ceiling open, and a couple of things missing,

How terrible.  That happened to my family when I was in junior
high school, coming back from vacation to find a house
emptied of most things easily fencible.  You have my sympathies.
If they catch the burglars, I'm sure there's a deserving and
hungry crocodile down there which could use a nice snack.

>- looking at the "brandname" models I see that there are equivalent
>systems from Compaq, Toshiba and IBM. (256M, 20Gb, etc.)  Does
>anyone have any comments on the suitability, ease of installation, etc.
>for Linux (e.g. RH7.3)?

Does it have to be one of those?

http://www.qlilinux.com/products/apple/laptops/ibook.html

QLI Tech sells iBooks, Powerbooks, and desktop Macs with
OS X plus your choice of SuSE PPC, Gentoo PPC, Debian PPC, or
Mandrake PPC.  The default is Gentoo(!).  Oddly, they don't
offer Yellow Dog as a choice, although it seems quite popular
with Mac users.

If anyone out there is running Linux on Mac, which of
the above distros would you choose, and why?

If you want to stay with Intel hardware, I've always
liked IBM notebooks really well.  Rugged, light, and the
eraser-type pointing device is quite good.

Jonathan
--
GPG key: DF12B4EF (5399 C834 3ABB C3AF 610C  5345 D5D6 E6EA DF12 B4EF)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys  DF12B4EF