Re: [tlug] Apache: Logging: how-to pipe logs or logtoanothermachine(was Disk

>From: Bruno Raoult <br@example.com>
>
>This is *always* a problem with pipes & standard IO. Syslog, for
>instance, makes a "flush" after each line to avoid this problem.
>Standard apache logging too.

Really? So the fact that my access_log.gz file is still standing at 20 bytes
and never seems to get anything is not do with BUFSIZ not being reached
then? (since you say that apache sends a flush)

>Don't forget also that this BUFSIZ is used everywhere you have stdio.
>For instance with:
>	cat toto | gzip > foo
>you get a BUFSIZ in the pipe (write *AND* read) and in the file I/O...

Hum .. so a CustomLog "|/usr/bin/gzip >> acccess.gz" would need to create 8K
of data before anything would be written?

And assuming gzip compresses that incoming data 10:1 I need about 80K of log
lines before anything gets written to file?

Jc