Re: [tlug] KMail and kinput2

Matt Gushee wrote:

>On Sun, Sep 08, 2002 at 12:02:29AM +0200, Anders Jansson wrote:
>
>>Sam Tilders wrote:
>>
>>whereas the KDE konsole does not use it.
>>

>Really? Do you know which protocol it does use, then?

See my confession below.

<list of XIM applications was here>

>>As you can see, kmail is not listed here.
>>

>It doesn't claim to be a comprehensive list, and it does say "most KDE 2
>... applications." Do you have other evidence?

I realize that omission in a list is not an evidence, but at least a
suggestion. See below however.

>In order to use XIM, you need to be sure kinput2 is running with XIM
>enabled, which it isn't by default. For example:
>
>  $ kinput2 -xim +kinput -canna &

I tried once again, and I now realize what I did wrong. The environment
variable LANG must be set to ja_JP BEFORE the application is started. It
is not sufficient to set it once the application has started.

If I do:
(export LANG=ja_JP; konsole) & or
(export LANG=ja_JP; kmail) &

it works fine.

It works both with +kinput and -kinput flag it seems to me.

Thanks for enlightening me.
Anders