[tlug] KMail and kinput2

hajime mashite,

I've been trying to get Japanese input going with KMail. MOst of what info
I've found has suggested installing KDE with Japanese as the default Locale
then changing the various settings back to English. This messes up some tools
I need for work and as such my employer is unlikely to be impressed when I
have to get something done quickly but find myself struggling with
applications that don't understand the Locale settings.

So I was pointed towards TLUG. I have tried searching the list archives...
search doesn't seem to work.

Basically, I'd like to be able to choose easily between typing in english or
japanese into KMail. I have previously set up kterm with kinput2 and that
works fine. But using a text based email client there and also using kmail
would confuse matters.

I've tried various enviroment settings when starting KMail (LC_TYPE, LANG,
XMODIFIERS) and some of those even caused KDE apps to fail to start (seg
fault).

Nothing I try seems to give me access to kinput2.

Has anyone else managed this without changing their KDE wide Locale to
Japanese?

(I'm using KDE 2.2.2 on Mandrake 8.2)

arigato gozaimasu

-- Sam
Sam Tilders
sam@example.com

Cogito Ergo Sum - I think, therefore I am.  (Descartes)