Re: [tlug] Network card

On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 02:11:16PM +0900, Brett Robson wrote:

> Hi
> I'm trying to get a Netgear FA 310TX working with RH7.3 I've never had a
> problem with these cards before. There seems to be a serious lack of
> documentation on hardware problems like this in Linux. I've read quite a
> bit but nothing has helped.

So it does see the card?  That is ifconfig eth0 (or whatever number)
shows the card?  (I've never had problems with the 310, only [in RH
7.1?) the 311.
It's a tulip driver if that helps. One reason there isn't much
documentation (I suspect) on the Netgear FA310TX with Linux is that it's
pretty much put it in and everything but Solaris will automagically
configure it (and Solaris will too if it's the OLD Netgear card--but
there's a newer version of FA310TX --I don't think Solaris ever fixed
their HCL, but anyway...)

I wonder if the card might be bad?  Again, I'm a bit puzzled as I too
have never had a problem with these cards, including RH 7.3 and the
newest beta (Null).

You might try recompiling the kernel, making sure the tulip driver is
installed. (In RH, it should be cd /usr/src/linux-2.4  NOT
/usr/src/linux)  The tulip driver is a ways down the page if you do make
menuconfig--I think if you do 1 pagedown it's the 3rd or 4th.

That's the only thing I can think of off the top of my head--you could
always try running kudzu (Just type kudzu at the command line). I've had
that work once or twice with some old ISA Realtek clones.

> In /etc/sysconfig/hwconf the card appears with the following entry
>
> class: NETWORK
> bus: PCI
> detached: 0
> device: eth
> driver: disabled

The above line really makes me wonder about the kernel--go into
/usr/src/linux-2.4 do the make menuconfig and see what you have for
tulip   (I've snipped the rest of the config, because I think that the
problem is probably there with the disabled)

--
Scott

PGP keyID EB3467D6 (1B48 077d 66F6 9DB0 FDC2  A409 FA54 D575 EB34 67D6 )