Re: [tlug] Apache: Logging: how-to pipe logs or log to anothermachine (was Disk

On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 10:14:44PM +0900, Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:

>Does any make hard drives that use an ethernet connection instead of an
>regualr cable connector? If they exist I'd just buy one and plug it into my
>machine ;)

Sure do, it's called a NAS (Network Attached Storage).

Promise has an interesting take on that:  an empty NAS, you
choose your own two disks and put them in.  It does RAID 0
and RAID 1 and is *nix compatible.

The major Japanese manufacturers probably make low-end NASes,
I would suppose.  Check their web sites or crawl a computer
shop.  I'd stay away from Logitec (the Japanese one, not the
real Logitech), their stuff usually seems to be *nix
unfriendly and about what you would expect from a Japan-only
computer product.

A NAS would be a good log host and could also be used as a backup
device.  I wouldn't put the document root on it because going
across the network is just too slow for that.  If it was
fiberchannel that would be different.

To set one up, just pop a second NIC into every machine that's
going to use it so you can run it on an inside network for
safety (make sure none of the machines will route between eth0
and eth1! :-) and you're set.

O'Reilly has a book on SAN and NAS.  It's probably good, it's
O'Reilly.  I haven't readit, though.

Jonathan
--
GPG key: DF12B4EF (5399 C834 3ABB C3AF 610C  5345 D5D6 E6EA DF12 B4EF)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys  DF12B4EF