[tlug] Re: Disk I/O bottleneck: how to solve?

Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:

> But is there anyway to get the kernel to use the extra RAM as a *read*
> buffer and not for *write* buffering?

AFAIK it should automagically balance itself, i.e. if most accesses are
reads then most buffers should be used for reads.

You can tune some elevator (i/o scheduler) settings with elvtune, and
in /proc/sys/vm/bdflush you can set some thresholds.

There seems to be some problem with the 2.4 elevator:
http://lwn.net/Articles/7784/

--
Tobias								PGP: 0x9AC7E0BC
This mail is made of 100% recycled bits