Re: [tlug] Disk I/O bottleneck: how to solve?

>From: "Jonathan Q" <jq@example.com>
>
>Just one disk?  I take it there is no slave on the same cable?

Yup. Currently the machine has just one disk. There is a CD-ROM in the
machine and I don't kow if it is on the controller or not, but the CD is
never used so the point is moot.

>In the real world, I doubt it's actually possibly to achieve the transfer
>rate
>of ATA-100, or even get near it most of the time

Yup. IDE drives are pretty much limited to 40Mb/s from what I've read. They
can do *burst* as high as 100 or 133 but those are really short burst for
data requests that are smaller than the hd's on-board buffer (usually 2Mb).

>A very fast seeking, fast writing Ultra-160 15,000 RPM drive would
>certainly
>beat an ATA-100 X 7200 RPM hands down.

Hum ... I'll look into it. The only thing is that I would also need to buy a
SCSI controller. I figure an Ultra-160 and a controller would probably be
expensive ;)

Also I have not been able to see SCSI disk bigger than 36Gb in my quick
search for prices. Don't SCSI disks come any bigger?

>If you have a fat budget,
>you could go full hardware RAID :-)

If I had a fat budget I'd hire someone else to wory about the problem ;)

Jc