[tlug] Disk I/O bottleneck: how to solve?

One of my machines has been showing poor performance lately and I think I've
pinned the problem down to a hard disk I/O bottleneck.

The hard drive is already pretty fast (ATA-100 7,200 rpm). I only have two
drives bays and both are in use so trying to speed things with RAID are not
an option.

I could upgrade the hardware but I don't think there are any faster IDE
drives (I heard that ATA-133 is really only about 5% faster that ATA-100). I
*could* go SCSI but since it is a much more expensive option it would need
to be a big imporvement in speed.

I was wondering if the were any software options? My machine has a lot of
free RAM and I was wondering if there was any way to make the kernel use
more RAM as a disk buffer? My machine always has at last 200M of free RAM
(total of 512M) so using that as a disk buffer could really speed things up.

Is it possible?

If there are other solutions I have overlooked please let me know ofoucrse
;)

Jc