Re: [tlug] Followup on mutt and gpg

On Tue, 3 Sep 2002 23:22:53 +0900, Ulrich Plate <plate@example.com> squashed
this out of the keyboard:

> You know, Linux advocacy is a funny thing. Too few years ago, web
> designers all over the planet were flooded with demands to keep websites
> downward compatible to Lynx. Now, but when it comes to something much more
> important like security, all of a sudden everybody refuses to include
> those with the lesser tools... If it was OE we're talking about here, I'd
> shut up immediately. Alas, I've been using KMail 1.3.2 in Mandrake 8.2 all
> evening, and neither is a Redmond product...

We're talking about two different things here.

Making everything compatible with Lynx meant sacrifying aesthetics, whereas
making everything here compatible with OE means sacrifying security.

Why?

Because RFC-3156 compliant mailers don't recognise ASCII-armoured signatures
as such and therefore don't see that the mail is signed at all.

True, KMail isn't a Redmond product, but the distro you're using has nothing
to do with it. I could pull up KMail in my Slackware but that doesn't make
Slackware any better/shittier.

> Nope, that's not what I meant. Further down, past some of the pix:

Mea culpa. I didn't read down that far.

> Something like this would be nice, no?

Can't see why. It shouldn't do ASCII-Armour in the first place :)

> Ulrich Plate <-- trying to get the &#%$'&% GPGOE plugin on W2K to run...

I tried - and failed - last night. The Win32 version of GnuPG doesn't seem
to be able to retrieve public keys from anywhere...

Still, it was late at night. Maybe I overlooked something obvious (like
opening the internet connection...)

--
G. Stewart   --   gstewart@example.com
                  gstewart@example.com

GnuPG key  : BA3D01C6 (pgp.mit.edu)
Fingerprint: C3DF C686 6572 6E59 E3E4  0F40 2B9A 2218 BA3D 01C6
Spotted in a toilet of a London office:
TOILET OUT OF ORDER. PLEASE USE FLOOR BELOW.