Re: [tlug] Followup on mutt and gpg

On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 01:00:11PM +0900, Jonathan Byrne wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 02, 2002 at 08:22:21PM -0500, Scott Robbins wrote:
>
> >Not sure if anyone is interested, but I did a bit more experimenting for
> >my own curiosity.  The patch to enable an OE client to read a mutt gpg
> >signed email without it being considered an attachment is here:
>
> OK, question:  If, as Josh notes, this is not an "issue" but just Mutt
> being compliant with RFC 3156 and the problem is OE's for not being
> so, is the end result of this patch then to make Mutt stop being
> compliant with RFC 3156?

I didn't check the README that closely--I was trying to figure out,
where the heck do I apply this patch (it's not that trivial in
Gentoo--actually, how would you apply it to an RPM?--that'd be worse
Gentoo wasn't difficult so much as a little tedious. Of course, I was a
lot cockier about it after Josh confirmed in private email that I was on
the right track  :) ).

> Also, the README for the patch states that there has been
> some speculation about 7-bit/8-bit issues.  Has anyone
> encountered any borkage there?

Just put in the patch tonight, so don't know yet.

> It also notes that as of Mutt 1.5 the functionality of the
> patch will be included in Mutt, rendering the patch obsolete.

Now, here's what I find interesting. In a private email, someone pointed
out to me that it isn't just mutt--he runs into the same issues with
Sylpheed, Evolution and a few others.

Also, testing what I have in the house, I found the same problem with
Eudora on WinXP and Mac OSX's Mail program.  Which indicates that none
of them seem to care too much about standards.

> Since the problem is really OE's, I ain't patching :-)

And, sad to say, not just OE--see above.  1.5 is in beta, so it
shouldn't be an issue for mutt users too much longer.

Actually, I can only see it being an issue in certain fairly convoluted
circumstances--one can always tell friends or family deal with it.  :)

Hrrm, somehow the random Buffy the Vampire Slayer quote below seems
apropos for we mutt users.  :)

- --
Scott

PGP keyID EB3467D6 (1B48 077d 66F6 9DB0 FDC2  A409 FA54 D575 EB34 67D6 )

Xander: Just because you're better than us doesn't mean you
can be all superior.