[tlug] How to change login dir?

I'm trying to change the home directory of a user but it's not working.

I did:

#usermod -d /usr/local/postgres/work postgres

and then checked the changes with:

#cat /etc/passwd | grep postgres
postgres:x:500:500::/usr/local/pgsql/work/:/bin/bash

So it seemed that the home dir of theuser was changed.

But if as root I 'su postgres' I stay in the same dir I was in.

How can I set it so that is I su to another user I get put in their "home"
directory as set in /etc/passwd?

Jc