Re: [tlug] Stopping Spam and viruses

On Thursday 29 August 2002 01:02 am, Jonathan Byrne wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 12:51:46AM +0900, Graeme Jensen wrote:
> >Any good ideas or hints on stopping spam and or viruses.  I haven't got
> > any viruses yet but am getting spammed heaps.
>
> A Linux install CD would be a good anti-virus solution for the
> Win 98 machine :-)

Yeah that would be good but I still need the windows box for typing Japanese.
I Haven't configured Red Hat to do that yet.

> If you want to bother with AV for the RH 7.2 machine, look
> at Open Antivirus.  For the Windows machine, the major AV vendors
> are all basically 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.  Take
> your pick and pay your money.  Or don't read any mail, surf the
> web, or run any services on the 'doze machine and save your money.
> The Linux machine generally does those things better anyway.

>Thanks for the advice.  I'll check those out, as well as the spamassasin
page.

> >Both computers are running as peers.  Should I do some firewall
> >reconfiguration?
>
> By "running as peers" I'm guessing you mean each computer
> is just connected to the network and going through the
> router, neither is firewalling the other.

 You guessed correctly.  Neither is firewalling the other.

Since you mention nothing
> about how you have your firewalling set up now, it would be hard for
> anyone to advise you on reconfiguring it.

Sorry, I'm still new at all this linux stuff and don't know where to start
with firewalling.  The router/hub supposedly has a built in firewall, but I
don't want to rely on that ,without knowing about it, as my only defense.  I
did choose normal for firewall setup during installation of Red Hat 7.2.

> Freshmeat will find you tons of anti-virus software, and Google
> will find you tons of firewalling info.
>
> You might also want to read this:
>
> http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/firewall.html
>
> Jonathan