Re: [tlug] Stopping Spam and viruses

On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 12:51:46AM +0900, Graeme Jensen wrote:

>Any good ideas or hints on stopping spam and or viruses.  I haven't got any
>viruses yet but am getting spammed heaps.

A Linux install CD would be a good anti-virus solution for the
Win 98 machine :-)

If you want to bother with AV for the RH 7.2 machine, look
at Open Antivirus.  For the Windows machine, the major AV vendors
are all basically 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.  Take
your pick and pay your money.  Or don't read any mail, surf the
web, or run any services on the 'doze machine and save your money.
The Linux machine generally does those things better anyway.

>Both computers are running as peers.  Should I do some firewall
>reconfiguration?

By "running as peers" I'm guessing you mean each computer
is just connected to the network and going through the
router, neither is firewalling the other.  Since you mention nothing
about how you have your firewalling set up now, it would be hard for
anyone to advise you on reconfiguring it.

Freshmeat will find you tons of anti-virus software, and Google
will find you tons of firewalling info.

You might also want to read this:

http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/firewall.html

Jonathan
--
GPG key: DF12B4EF (5399 C834 3ABB C3AF 610C  5345 D5D6 E6EA DF12 B4EF)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys  DF12B4EF