[tlug] Re: typing in Japanese (Red Hat 7.2)

HI THERE ALL
Sorry if this seems like a silly question but I have one user login name that
is setup to use Japanese as the default login language but I can't seem to
type Japanese.  This is despite having the right keyboard jp106 and the
matching keyboard map setup.  I've checked out a few site about this but
found too much detailed explanation that I couldn't really understand.

I'd like to set up my box to have the Japanese User type Japanese by default
and other users to be able to type Japanese when so needed.

Most kde desktop items do display Japanese quite well.  Some dialogue boxes
display "mojibake", I believe it's called (question marks as opposed to
kanji)

I can also view Japanese web pages.  At boot time I can see the cannaserver
and WNN startup, so the packages are installed.

locate kterm
/etc/X11/applnk/Utilities/kterm.desktop
/usr/share/pixmaps/kterm.xpm
/usr/share/terminfo/k/kterm-co
/usr/share/terminfo/k/kterm
/usr/share/terminfo/k/kterm-color
/usr/X11R6/bin/kterm
/usr/X11R6/man/man1/kterm.1x.gz

 locate kinput2
/usr/share/doc/kinput2-canna-wnn6-v3
/usr/share/doc/kinput2-canna-wnn6-v3/doc
/usr/share/doc/kinput2-canna-wnn6-v3/doc/defaultkeys
/usr/share/doc/kinput2-canna-wnn6-v3/doc/ccdef
/usr/share/doc/kinput2-canna-wnn6-v3/doc/classes
/usr/share/doc/kinput2-canna-wnn6-v3/doc/sj3guide.tex
/usr/share/doc/kinput2-canna-wnn6-v3/doc/defkeys.wnn
/usr/share/doc/kinput2-canna-wnn6-v3/doc/problems
/usr/share/doc/kinput2-canna-wnn6-v3/doc/protocol
/usr/share/doc/kinput2-canna-wnn6-v3/doc/resources
/usr/share/doc/kinput2-canna-wnn6-v3/doc/sj3def
/usr/share/doc/kinput2-canna-wnn6-v3/doc/sj3guide.ps
/usr/share/doc/kinput2-canna-wnn6-v3/Copyright
/usr/share/doc/kinput2-canna-wnn6-v3/NEWS
/usr/share/doc/kinput2-canna-wnn6-v3/README
/usr/X11R6/bin/kinput2.canna-wnn6

I did install Linux once with Japanese as the default language and managed to
print Japanese (on the screen) in the abiword document by using the shift
space method but then got mojibake after choosing the kanji.

I think perhaps I need to copy these files to some other places.  If so
where?  What else could be wrong??  Sorry for the long winded explanation.

THANKS FOR ANY AND ALL HELP
CHEERS,
GRAEME