Re: [tlug] Class B Hubs not suitable for data center use?

>From: "Jonathan Q" <jq@example.com>

First off, thanks again Jonathan for the in-depth advice an answer.
Hardware/networks are relly not my forte being a programmer.

>What a load of crap.

That was my opinion at first but I wanted to make sure of my facts before
calling their bluff.

>The 3Com Office Connect series is a line of
>entry-level SOHO products and is not intended for enterprise use, they are
>correct about that.

I understand that it is entry-level and for SOHO but what would be the
difference between a enterprise level device and a SOHO device. To me a
100Mbps hub is a hub is a hub ... (see, I *told* you I know nothing about
hardware ;)

>However, I do rather suspect that they gave you
>a boilerplate answer without really
>looking very closely at it.  Ask them how they know that it's the problem

I will ask them to spell out exactly what they mean. However I find that
support staff in general is not very knowledgeable and you really need to
get to the hgher ups before getting answer that make sense.

>I have a question about the description of your network architecture.  You
>say that you're connecting two servers together with the Office Connect 8,
>and then from the hub to the data center 100 mbps link.  Does this mean you
>have the Office Connect 8 plugged into a hub and then the hub is connected
>to the 100 mbps link?  Or are you mixing and matching terminology (note: a
>hub and a switch are *not* the same thing and the terms are not
>interchangeable)?

My mistake again. I was unsure wethere the 3Com device was a hub or a
switch. I've re-read the specs again and now I see that it is in fact a
switching hub, correct?

The two servers connect into the 3Com switch and the 100Mbps cable provided
by the DC plugs into the switch.

>Next question: Is the 100 mpbps auto-negotiated or is it locked at 100
>mpbs?

Again accordign to the 3Com specs all ports should be auto-sensing. I have
not been able to get to the DC in order to check that it has in fact
correctly set itslef to 100Mbps and not 10.

I'll leave the problem at that for now. Someone else is responsible for
managing them and I have already lectured them (countless times) on the need
to get more data before trying to troubleshoot problems.

I was just pissed off at what I thought was a boilerplate answer from the DC
and of course before accusing the DC of spewing out meaningless tehno-babble
I wanted to make sure.

Thanks again to the tlug for the great technical advice and education.

Now, why won't someone ask questions in areas *I* can answer ;)

Jc