Re: [tlug] Audio CD question

[Josh Glover (Re: [tlug] Audio CD question) writes:]
>> Quoth Jim Breen (Tue 2002-08-27 06:56:34PM +1000):
>> > A question about some funny behaviour with the CD drive on my Toshiba
>> > Notebook.
>> > It works fine with CD-ROMs.
>> > With audio CDs, if I put a CD in the drive as the first activity with the
>> > drive after booting, it is detected, CD-Player starts and the CD starts
>> > playing.
>>
>> Do you use Gnome or KDE?

Gnome.

>> What you need to do is turn off the auto insert notification. That
>> stuff is just bad news.

I tried that. And the CD worked. I stopped the CD, ejected and put it in
again. It worked. Just before going into Josh-worship-mode, I tried it a
third time. I didn't hear a cock crow, but it didn't work and hasn't since.

When I put the CD in, I hear it speed up, then it just stops. "gtcd" just
sits there saying "No Disc (Scanning)".

I even tried turning the Auto-start back on - no change. gtcd won't even
launch.

BTW, when I start gtcd by hand, I get:

>> esd: Failed to fix mode of /tmp/.esd to 1777.
>> Try -trust to force esd to start.
>> esd: Esound sound daemon unable to create unix domain socket:
>> /tmp/.esd/socket
>> The socket is not accessible by esd.

Is this significant? /tmp/.esd has:

	drwxrwxrwt    2 root     root         4096 Mar 16 12:51 .
	drwxrwxrwt   12 root     root         4096 Aug 28 12:15 ..
	srwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            0 Mar 16 12:51 socket

Jim

--
Jim Breen  (j.breen@example.com  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/)
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 3298