[tlug] Audio CD question

Hi all,

A question about some funny behaviour with the CD drive on my Toshiba
Notebook.

It works fine with CD-ROMs.

With audio CDs, if I put a CD in the drive as the first activity with the
drive after booting, it is detected, CD-Player starts and the CD starts
playing. If I stop the CD. It won't restart, "dmesg" reports that it's
trying to read it as a CD-ROM, and it's good-bye to audio CDs until I power
down & reboot (just rebooting w/o powerdown doesn't make a difference.)
Ripping programs such as cdparanoia and cdda2wav simply report that no audio
CD is loaded.

AFAIK this problem arrived with RH7.2. Although the sound wasn't working
properly with RH6.2, I could play audio CDs. It's not the hardware alone,
as it works if I boot up in Windows.

I suspect some status is being set deep in the system.

Can anyone suggest a possible way out of this?

Jim

--
Jim Breen  (j.breen@example.com  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/)
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 3298