Re: [tlug] Server shows strange load and memory spikes

>From: B0Ti <9915104t@example.com>
>
>Check out if/what cron was running in /var/log/cron or similar depending
>on your distro. Logrotate comes to mind.

I have the following type of entries:

Aug 18 19:01:00 localhost CROND[1929]: (root) CMD (run-parts
/etc/cron.hourly)

However anacrontab has no entry for any hourly jobs. Any ideas why
cron/anacron is trying to run something every hour?

Furthermore Anacron *is* running it's daily jobs aroun 4:00am so that might
explain the memory spike. Though I can't think of what it is running that
would use so much memory. The daily jobs are:

0anacron  logrotate  makewhatis.cron  rpm  slocate.cron  tmpwatch

Also I use cronolog, not logrotate, for my apache logs.

I've stopped anacron and will see if that makes any difference over the next
few days. I really can't figure out what would make my CPU load go so high
except for a process doing lots of disk accessing, like gzip. But the only
really disk intensive process I can think of that would be running is
cronolog to write my apache logsto file ...

If anyone else as more ideas I'd be glad to hear them.

Thanks,

Jc