Re: [tlug] Japanese encoding

On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 08:21:20PM -0400, William F. Maton wrote:

> > Is this a problem with CVS? I thought it would have been internationalized by
> > now.

I'm not sure about the 8-bit clean issue, but the problem with binary
files is that CVS is basically designed for text files (as in program
source code). And, by default, it auto-converts line endings to suit the
platform you're working on. Or does it convert them all to UNIX format?
I forget, but one way or another it converts them. So if you have
developers working on multiple platforms, and you don't identify binary
files as such, they'll get corrupted as CVS attempts to fix their line
endings.

I believe there are ways to flag whole directories or files matching a
certain pattern as binary, but I'm not sure how.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, Colorado, USA