[tlug] wrt Nvidia drivers (forwarded message)

Just saw this on a different LUG list. It may help those having
problems with Nvidia video drivers.

Viktor

--- Begin Message ---
Mike Carignan wrote:
>>>Almost all problems with an nvidia setup can be traced back to AGP
>>>problems, and rectified by changing your bios settings...
>>
>>This is so very true. My computer froze almost everyday while in X and
>>it all came down to disabling the AGP use. Now my system is stable and
>>never freezes.
>

> I still get occasional freezing in X, specifically when I run 3D games or
> video intensive applications (some screensavers).  What is the fix that
> you need to do for this? What AGP bios settings need to be modified?  I'm
> pretty sure I have a fairly recent version of my board's bios flashed in
> (it's an asus board). This problem has been bothering me for as long as I
> can remember with both my old ATI Rage 128 (which I found to actually have
> great video support from the DRI project) and now my geforce card.
>
> -Mike Carignan

I completely disabled NVidia's driver from using AGP by adding
Option "NvAGP" "0"

to my config file. With out this line, the driver tries to use it's
internal agp, then the kernels agpgart agp driver.

I'm prolly loosing some speed by doing this, but my box is still a
K6-2 450, so I doubt I'm missing much. Xmame still runs full-speed on
most games. GL apps don't lock up the systems. I can't complain. It's
seems to be a fair trade off.

I'll take a look at my BIOS settings, but I'm not sure if that will
help you.. I've got an AOpen board from waaaay back... an MPV3 I
think... but maybe that's the chipset.. but I digress..