Re: [tlug] zaurus sl-5500, linux and ntt docomo

Hi Bruce,

> i recently picked up one of the sharp linux pda's with wireless card
> while travelling in the states.
>
> very cool.

No objections to this statement. :-)

> i'm curious whether anyone knew whether ntt's "hotspot" 802.11a/b
> service had actually become a service yet?  does anyone know if/when
> the softbank/mcdonalds wireless deal goes live?

NTT's trial service has started on 1 August and is scheduled until 31
October; Yahoo! BB/McDonald's/Starbucks has been online for a while now.
Things are moving very rapidly in this area, even the announcements sound
hasty, with all the providers fighting each other over retailers and coffee
brewers around town to team up with.

> on a related note, has anyone tested the compact flash ntt docomo
> network units on a sl-5500?  i'm curious whether the driver for it
> will be specific to the japanese linux rom image used in the sl-a300.

The only possible hickup I could imagine is the fact that the A300 doesn't
have a CF slot, it needs a slide-on jacket for that. I don't know if that
has any influence on the drivers, but I can't see why you shouldn't expect
the hotspot service to be compatible with any old wireless LAN card, the one
you have should work just fine.

Cheers
Ulrich Plate