Re: [tlug] recommendations for a good pc shop in tokyo

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002 12:47:23 -0400
Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com> wrote:

> > But now that ATI and NVidia cards have just as
> > good (and official) driver
> > support, I'll think twice before I get a Matrox next time.
>
> The nVidia drivers for Linux are shit. They were causing my Athlon box
> to segfault and lock up pretty often (like twice a week, which may be
> nothing for Windows users, but I *demand* uptime in the thousands of
> days! ;), and nVidia with not release the source, or the tech specs
> for the damned card that would allow other people to write phat 3D
> drivers for it.
>
> I should have gone Matrox, and will next time.

About my experience with my g450:
Once a month or so, I also play some games. And the ATI rage mobility
that's in my dell inspiron laptop beats the g450 in 3D performance.
The OpenGL driver for the matrox is crap, some weird coloring shows up
sometimes, though Unreal Tournament is still playable (to an extent).
Occasionally my athlon box locks up hard while playing UT, which is not
very fun. I believe it's the matrox hardware at fault, because it only
happens with 3D intensive stuff (and I'm not overclocking my box!).
Another minor annoyance is, when switching to console mode from X, the
framebuffer gets screwed up and text doesn't display when typed.

I'm not bashing Matrox here, just wanted to say that it isn't perfect
either.

--
B0Ti.