Re: [tlug] ISDN connection

On 8/14/2002, "Ulrich Plate" <plate@example.com> wrote:

>the switch to my hoanki, and 120 dB from there to my desk. The inhouse
>cables are running through the same conduit as the ISDN line, granted,
but
>why did that work for twelve months and not any more? Join the
Headscratcher
>Posse.

Maybe the insulation deteriorated enough to get big crosstalk.  ISDN-DSL
crosstalk was a real problem when NTT was doing DSL trials.  Replacing the
in-house wiring might be a good bet.  Run them in separate conduits if
possible.

>Tsuho guy from Tokyo Gas (My Tsuho is a device that lets you shut down
your
>gas pipe via a phone call and reports what the gauge says back to Tokyo
Gas,
>and it is susceptible of interfering with DSL if not configured right).

I had something like that but for propane back in 1996 when I got my first
ISDN line.  I guess it must have connected to the Lemon Gas offices.  I
remember I set it off one day by accident when I was spraying a gokiburi
:-)  I wondered what would happen, but never heard from them.

When I got ISDN, the NTT installer said that they were incompatible and he
would have to cut the wires to the device to install ISDN and was that OK?
Of course I said "Do it."  Live without ISDN?  I think not :-)

>Needless to say that My Tsuho wasn't broken at all, it's using the ISDN
>circuit, so kankei nai to the DSL problem.

Unless it's signals somehow produce crosstalk.  I take it the Tsuho uses
the D-channel for talking to Tokyo Gas?  Or does it actually dial out on a
B-channel if it senses a leak?

eaccess does do a good job.  I hope the line can be straightened out.  Has
anybody from NTT tested the line?  What do they say about it?

Jonathan