Re: [tlug] The meaning of B in Kb/secs?

>From: "Jonathan Q" <jq@example.com>
>

>That depends on whether it's a hard drive or a network connection.
>Networks speeds are measured in bits/second, disk (and other mass
>storage device) transfer rates are measured in bytes/second.

So that would explain why I am confused. Two transfer rates for two
different things ;)

>That ought to be documented somewhere

It ought to and I finally found it. The docs say it is in bytes per second.

The link is:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_status.html

> >100MB/sec pipe (which I assumes means 100 Megabytes/sec)
>
>bits/sec

Thanks for teh clarification.

>100,000,000 b/sec is the speed of your line.
>
>Your transfer rate from Apache is 413,700 B/sec, or 3,309,600 b/sec,
>or about 3.3% of your line capacity.

Thanks for doing the math for me. 3.3% seems much more reasonable.

>However, is this your average transfer rate?  If so, you're looking  at the
>wrong numbers.  When assessing your bandwidth needs, you need to look at
>your peak transfer rates.

Good point! I'll try and find out how I can get that information out of
Apache.

Thanks to everyone for helping out on this.