Re: [tlug] Exim mail server

----- Original Message -----
From: "A.Sajjad Zaidi" <sajjad@example.com>

> The first is *very* simple to setup based on IP addresses, but setting
> up password authenticated SMTP is a little tricky.

That was the bulk of my work.

> > I'm using vm-pop for POP3 access.
>
> Did you also get IMAP and APOP to work? I will be installing a mail
> server next week which has to support all these.

No I didn't. I used vm-pop3d which doesn't support IMAP and APOP and only
does standard crypt passwords (ie not PAM,  LDAP or other). vm-pop3d was
basically written to do multiple domains with Exim and so is easy to set up
a bit limited. I am happy with just POP so I didn't look into it.

The default directory structure looks like this,

the users are defined,
   /etc/virtual/domain1.com/passwd
   /etc/virtual/domain2.com/passwd
     :
in my config Exim check the directories under /etc/virtual/  define the
local domains, saves on configuration work. It insists on the userid
including the domain eg brett@example.com

mailboxes
   /etc/spool/virtual//domain1.com/username
   /etc/spool/virtual//domain2.com/username
     :
Any pop and imap daemon needs to be able to handle that. The Uni of
Washington imap server that comes with RH doesn't seem configurable enough
(don't quote me on that).

> > There aren't really any short cuts but if anyone needs help please
contact
> > me, I'll provide whatever assistance I can - I'm thinking about writing
an
> > How-to but don't hold your breath.
>
> That would be great. You should be able to get some ideas from the main
> Exim FAQ. There is now one for Exim 4:
>
> http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.00/doc/html/FAQ.html

The Exim documentation is dreadful. Lot's of detail, but extremely difficult
to read and no summaries. I bought the book not realizing it's for version 3
and largely out of date.

(http://www.amavis.org/).
> Ive used it with great results with both Sophos (http://www.sophos.com/)
> and OpenAntiVirus (http://www.openantivirus.org/).

Thanks, the next step is spam which is going to be a serious problem.

> Thanks for the post and please remember to start a new thread for a new
> topic instead of changing the Subject line of an earlier message.

oops