Re: [tlug] searching but don't where to look!!

Yoshiko,

On Wednesday 07 August 2002 09:11 am, BABA Yoshihiko wrote:
> Uva Coder wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 11:50:15PM +0900, Gavin Rollins wrote:
> >>students and parents are asking questions about linux.. This book is
> >> giving me many questions I have never thought of.. Another project I
> >> have to take
>
> I wonder what kind of questions.
1. Is linux more difficult then windows?
2. Is linux more expensive?
3. Does it have Japanese support?
4. Licences...how much...(hahaha) what licence!!
5. can I play games? (some students)
6. many security and virus questions
7. which distro is best..bla bla bla
Just think of some of the questions you had when you first started working
with linux.

> >>care of is Recommending a distro for different applications eg,
> >>1.Single user working in home office (Mandrake)
> >>2. University computer science lab (?)
> >>3.corportate web server (RedHat)
> >>4. Japanese high school and Jr. High school computer lab (Never used
> >> linux)(?) 1~3 are from the book, but these questions I have also been
> >> asked. 4. Two school close to me, That are thinging about starting a
> >> computer class but funds are VERY LOW. cancel M$..eheheheh!
> >>Suggestions from all are welcomed
> >
> > If it had to be Linux, then I recommend:
> > 1. SuSE for the home office.
> > 2. Debian for the CS lab.
> > 3. RedHat or SuSE for handling political issues related to running
> >    a corporate linux-based web server.
> > 4. Debian or Gentoo for HS CS lab.
> >
> > If it could be any OS, then I recommend:
> > 1. MacOSX - Easy for anyone to use, and easy to administer.
> > 2. Plan9 - It will ask more of you than any other OS. It will
> >    challenge many of your preconceived ideas about computer science
> >    and computer security. Warning: Not for timid, the faint of
> >    heart, or those with no time to kill.
> > 3. NetBSD - Small, stable, and easy to administer.
> > 4. NetBSD - A consistant OS for teaching fundamentals and concepts;
> >    unlike dealing with various linux distributions and their methods.
> >
> > -- Uva
>
> I expect your comment will cause attract more discussions.  Here's my
> opinion.
>
> I agree with Uva, except two points.  SuSE is good for home office, but
> its Japanese support is not default in office applications.  If you need
>   Japanese, I'd say Vine.  The other is OpenBSD option for 3.  But
> OpenBSD seems to have problems especially when installing, so only on
> the condition that the admins have experiences.
>
> BTW, does computer class in 4 mean computer science?  It may vary from
> teaching how to use keyboard to von Neumann, Artificial Intelligence and
> etc...
haha, nothing that big (von Neumann) Just basic computer usage, teaching how
to use search engines. More advanced classes deal with  (networking,
samba, maybe a little server setup for the school via apache) these are Just
some of the things they want to get into.<gleem in their eyes> (mine too!!)