[tlug] Re: wither ipchains?

Marc Christensen writes:

> On Wed, 7 Aug 2002, big0 wrote:
>
>> >   # rmmod iptables
>> >   # insmod ipchains
>>
>> This is wroooooooooooong! There is no such thing like iptables or ipchains
>> kernel modules. Both are just user space programs to work with kernel
>> rules (netfilter or chains)
>
> I can't believe you just wrote that.
>
> RedHat and several other distributions are setup with support for iptables
> and ipchains as modules for the kernel.  Once inserted, userspace programs
> are used to set up the firlewall rules (chains).
OK, I was wrong for the ipchains - the name of module is also ipchains
(in file ipchains.o). I just wanted to acsent on the difference between
kernel and user-space - so even there is ipchains or iptables programs
installed if the kernel is not configured it will not work - error message
from the original post.

 --
ISBN: 0060256575       OpenPGP: 0xBE40FF3E