Re: [tlug] sed or awk or what?

On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 09:42:14AM -0400, Viktor Pavlenko quoth, and most verily thus:

> P.S. Sorry about the stupid mail I sent earlier about the s modifier.
> (Mr. Listmaster, can we erase it from the archives?:) It was the case
> when the mind clears next moment after the message has been sent...

Sorry, Viktor, no can do.

I can think of very few cases when I would consider altering the
archive morally acceptable, and this is not one of them.

You had a "brain fart". Welcome to the wonderful world of humanity,
where we sometimes make mistakes. Even the most hard-boiled BOFHs
forgive and forget (though the latter is usually due to the onset of
old age too early due to excessive stress). Case in point, look at
some of my first posts to TLUG. I was a moron. Now I am not, but I
still say stupid and/or wrong things, sometimes (*gasp*) in public. I
think that people usually forgive.

(The following is less for Viktor's benefit and more for the lurking
newbies.)

If you say something that is blatantly *wrong* on this list, expect to
be corrected, gently or not so gently, depending on the prevailing
winds and the moods of the assorted BOFHs[1] (that are left, *sniff*)
on the list. In Viktor's case, he corrected himself. No harm, no foul.

The moral of this story is: mistakes are OK as long as:

1) No-one dies
2) The mistake-maker learns something

--
Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com>