RE: [tlug] "Linux Friendly" ADSL Providors

A switch is similar to a hub, you need neither if you get a router with
multiple eithernet ports sufficient for you lan.

When ADSL is installed, they will put the modem on the line for you most
likely.  You run a patch cable from the modem to the router.  You run
another patch cable(s) from the router to your boxes.

You probably then configure your router from one of your computers per the
instructions in the router box via your web browser.

DHCP and NAT are provided by many  proabably most routers.  DHCP provides
the IP addresses to your internal Lan, and NAT(network address translation)
translates the TCP/IP protocols from the internet - public ip to the lan
private ip.  So your lan has private IP addresses, but traffic from the
public or routable address from the modem is being forwarded to the lans
private addresses so you can access it from your local boxes

Cheers

James