Re: [tlug] "Linux Friendly" ADSL Providors

Havard Bell <Bell@example.com> wrote:
> >Would be cool if you found an ISP that hands out fixed IPs, but I haven't
> >heard of anyone doing that for individual customers...
>
> I also think Usen offer your aout 6 static global IP addresses for about
> YEN 6000 per month,

Actually, I bit the bullet and got Usen a little while ago.  But I
haven't used it enough to write a review yet.

They give you a static /29 subnet, so you get 5 usable IPs (6, but 1 is
used by the gateway).

> but their installation price may be a bit expensive (ca  YEN 30000),

It is 33000 all fees included.  I got in during a campaign and got 10000
yen off.  There is a new campaign that last till the end of August that
gives 15000 off that, and an additional 3000 off if you are converting
from ADSL.

> and their pipe to the Internet may be questionable.   But it will
> give you 100 Mbps to their datacenter.

It is plenty fast.  You can see some speed here.

http://www.rbbtoday.com/rbbcorp/voice/322.html

Upload speed is slow for some people (including me) at this site, but I
think the problem is between rbbtoday.com and Usen, as I get much better
upload speed here.

http://www.studio-radish.com/
http://www.studio-radish.com/cgi-bin/bbs/bbs.cgi?board=netspeed

It is fast enough that my linux firewall becomes the bottleneck, rather
than the pipe.  Anybody got tips for tuning 2.4 kernel NAT/firewall
performance?

Stephen