Re: [tlug] "Linux Friendly" ADSL Providors

Graeme Jensen <magic@example.com> wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a good cheap and reliable ADSL Providor.  I live in
> Kanie, near Nagoya and currently use AT&T Flets ISDN.  I've heard distance
> from the Internet providor, or is it the telco?? affects the connection
> speed.  Should I (can I ) buy a modem or must they be rented?  Is there
> anything else I should find out or ask the providors about??

The distance between the telco and you _is_ the one biggest factor that
affects the connection speed. You can check that here (cookie required,
not sure if it works for ISDN).

<http://www.ntt-west.co.jp/open/senro/senro_user_index.html>
<http://www.ntt-east.co.jp/line-info/>

The common saying is if you are <2km from the CO, you should have decent
speed.

The four biggest(?) ADSL provider are:

1. Yahoo!BB
2. Flet's ADSL
3. Acca
4. e-access

(1) Yahoo!BB is what I use.  It is the cheapest, is relatively fast
(8M/900k and you can get 12M experimental service if you sign up now),
but their customer service suck. However, ADSL is pretty much
trouble-free once set up (esp. since Yahoo!BB is its own ISP, and uses
DHCP rather than PPPoE. I did have a modem went bad on me once, though)
so it might be worth the monetary saving.

BTW they don't have an NNTP server, if that is important to you.

Oh, BB phone (IP telephone service) now come standard and their rates
are good, even for international calls (esp. to the US, which is the
same price as dialling locally).

Look up average speed of Yahoo!BB users near you.
<http://ybbcustomer.bbtec.net/ybb/SpeedYahoo/portspeed.jsp>

Modem: Switch-type, DHCP

Switch-type means you get global IP at the modem.  Which means you'll
need to buy a separate router if you want to hook up multiple computers
and do NAT.

(2) Flet's ADSL is probably is the least trouble for you as you don't
need to switch ISP (probably, check with AT&T).  Service is up to 8M
with no upgrade announced.

Modem: Switch-type, PPPoE

Doing PPPoE means you need additional software on your computer.  Linux
should be able to do it.

(3) Acca is said to be quite fast from people I know who uses it.  Speed
is 8M with 10M service starting.

Service area and speed check
<http://www.acca.ne.jp/area/index.html>

Modem: Router-type (ethernet), PPPoE (external)/DHCP (internal)
       Switch-type (USB, 1.5M service only), PPPoE

Router-type means they do NAT at the modem/router and you only get
private IP in your LAN.  Advantage is being able to hook up multiple
computers and disadvantage is that some game/service is not
NAT-compatible.

(4) E-access is 8M with 12M planned.

Service area and speed check
<http://www.eaccess.net/jp/>

Modem: Router-type (ethernet), PPPoE (external)/DHCP (internal)
       Switch-type (USB, 1.5M service only), PPPoE

#####

You can also check out other options like wireless, CATV or FTTH.

<http://www.rbbtoday.com/>

Services in Kanie
<http://www.rbbtoday.com/rbbcorp/List/city23425.html>