Re: Programming Language Theory (was: Re: [tlug] C puzzle)

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 09:20:23PM +0900, Bruno Raoult quoth, and most verily thus:
> No I did not. But my (french) engineering school gave me good hints on
> history & teached the basics of half dozen languages (from which I
> prefered Lisp & Forth). I forgot Pascal the day I bought my K&R book ;-)

You are a good man, Bruno! ;) If you like the K&R book, I might
recommend Kernighan and Pike's excellent _The Unix Programming
Environment_. It and Stroustrup's _The C++ Programming Language_
(second edition) have brought me much joy.

Oh, and while I am recommending books:

Knuth's "The Art of Computer Programming" series. He is currently
writing Volumes 4 and 5. Here is his web page on this series:
http://www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~knuth/taocp.html

The late great W. Richard Stevens's _UNIX Network Programming_,
_Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment_ and the "TCP/IP
Illustrated Series".

Happy reading! ;)

--
Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com>