[tlug] Re: ISDN connection woes

Graeme Jensen writes:

> Thanks for the advice.  Is there any specific hardware you can buy in Japan
> that's compatible with linux.  I know you said its's independent from the OS
> but I'm not sure what you mean by that.  If the OS is necessary then what
> role does roaring penguin play?  Is it just dial up software?  I have a
> windows box and would like to set up a LAN and have dial up (on demand)
> network connections for both machines.  If I use routing does this mean I
> won't need worry about server client relationships?

In home I use Fujitsu ADSL from so-net. I run Linux, OpenBSD, FreeBSD,
windows 98 and windows 2000 without problems. I get config (IPs and DNSes)
for them from the embedded in the ADSL DHCP server.
The roaring penguin is needed mostly for NTT flets. It make authentication
for you and PPPoE because Flets are modems only.
Most of the 8M ADSLs use PPPoA and there is no good software solution for
it. But how I told you everything is inside - modem, authentication and
PPPoA tracking. You connect to the ADSL via web interface for
configurations.
So OS-independent means that there are no parts from the Inet connection
outside of ADSL. There is also firewall and NAT inside. I tried to set
web and mail server behigh ADSL and it was OK.

 --
ISBN: 0060256575       OpenPGP: 0xBE40FF3E