RE: [tlug] Re: ISDN connection woes

I have an adsl connection comming to my house, it then connects to a Linxus
router-completely english(which I have an extra one I want to sell).  There
are many other routers in Akihabira or at your favorite computer store.

The router maintains and restablishes if I am cutt off connections with the
ISP.  The router has 8 other connections for the network.  I can do port
forwarding then for a web server hosted on my site and I forward port 22
also to my linux machine to do ssh.

The router also provides DHCP very convenient so all the machines on the
network acquire their network - ip settings automatically.

The hardware on my machine is completely irrelevant.  I can even hook up my
networkable printer to this router and print remotely from the internet.

The router is managed through a web interface from inside the network, and
it is very simple to do.  Optionally it can be set to be managed from
outside the private network too, but in my case that isn't necissary, so for
security I don't do it this way.

There are a number of optional security features as well on most routers.  A
suitable router for home use can be picked up for sometimes less than 10,000
yen.

Does this help?

You can do this without a router by setting up routing on your linux box
also. using one network card for internet traffic and one for your network.
I found this rather difficult to set up.

If I want more internal connections, I can do this also by adding a hub on
the internal network.

If you are using dial up, you should switch to adsl, my opinion, but there
probably are routers that will dial up on demand as well, in fact mine
probably does but I don't use dial up so I haven't looked.  It will
establish an adsl connection on demand or keep the connection live all the
time which is what I do.

James