Re: [tlug] Free Japanese Type 1 Fonts

On 25 Jul 2002 16:04:38 +0900
Ryan Shaw <ryan.shaw@example.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know where I might find some free
> (as in freedom) Japanese Type 1 fonts?

Did you do your research first?
apt-cache turns up a few hits:

ttf-kochi-gothic - Kochi Gothic Japanese TrueType font without naga10
ttf-kochi-mincho - Kochi Mincho Japanese TrueType font without naga10
gs-cjk-resource - Resource files for gs-cjk, ghostscript CJK-TrueType
extension.
ttf-kochi-gothic-naga10 - Kochi Gothic Japanese TrueType font with naga10
(non-free)
ttf-kochi-mincho-naga10 - Kochi Mincho Japanese TrueType font with naga10
(non-free)
ttf-xtt-wadalab-gothic - Free Japanese TrueType fonts (gothic)
ttf-xtt-watanabe-mincho - Free Japanese TrueType fonts (mincho)
ttf-xwatanabe-mincho - eXtended Watanabe Mincho Japanese TrueType fonts
for JIS X 0213:2000
ttf-gtfonts - very extensive collection of Kanji characters

There is also a free font called Kandata, and afaik OpenOffice also has
some.  The Japanese version of staroffice (Starsuite) has a nice one
called Hg mincho light.

Plus if you search google, it turns up a few pages like this:
http://jeff.cs.mcgill.ca/~luc/freefonts.html

--
B0Ti.