Re: [tlug] crack

YAMAGATA Hiroo wrote:

> > There is a really low chance that passwords in a company will get cracked
> > by brute force.
>
> Brute-Force, no. Weak password checking is not for avoiding brute force.

Most password cracking software uses dictionary attack then brute force. This is
what I meant. Sorry about the confusion.

> Someone using their initials or your extension number, or your favorite
> band, or one of those easy to guess stuff, that happens all the time.

But there are at least a few words to check. You must be really lucky to get in
with the first guess.
Otherwise heaps of messages like the one below start coming from syslog, and
that's rather obvious.
Jul 23 17:18:34 machine123 PAM_unix[1839]: authentication failure; user(uid=1501)
-> root for su service

--
B0Ti.