Re: [tlug] crack

> There is a really low chance that passwords in a company will get cracked
> by brute force.

Brute-Force, no. Weak password checking is not for avoiding brute force.

Probably you mean a dictionary attack. But I think that risk is rather serious.
Someone using their initials or your extension number, or your favorite
band, or one of those easy to guess stuff, that happens all the time. At
one site there was a bug that allowed me to see the last registered
user's id and password, and it was often like id: jesus, passwd: christ,
and such.

> Company networks are cracked because of the lack of software/os updates
> and unsecure software usage.

I'd say that's rather a technologist world view. I don't think
sophisticated (relatively) attacks such as password sniffing and
exploiting buffer overflows and such are that prevalent, compared to
lame passwords and social engineering.

Best,
Hiroo (just came back from H2K2)
--