Re: [tlug] crack

On Tue, 23 Jul 2002, Nguyen Hung Vu wrote:

> Currently, I am working for a Japanese company as a Sys Admin.
> I want to run crack checking weak passwords in my system but dont know if
> Japanese law allows me to do that.

It would be up to individual organizations.  I would recommend you consult
with the senior management of your organization about their privacy
protection policy and guidelines.

An organization's information normally belong to the management (normally
the highest-level mgmt), who may or may not be the same as the ones who
use the data on the day-to-day basis, they are ultimately responsible for
what happens to the organization's information resources.  They are the
ones you should talk to.

In order to not get into trouble later on (false accusations of abuse,
etc.,) by all means obtain a _written_ permission to do anything like
password auditing.