Re: [tlug] remote

On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 06:00:23AM +0000, j-morgan@example.com wrote:
> On 7/23/2002, "hatsuhiro" <hatuhiro@example.com> wrote:
> > How can we do shutdown, kill, lilo, etc. a remote linux machine from
> > another networked client machine in front,? Anyone knows?
>
> You execute the commands just as you would if you were sitting in front
> of machine. The question is how to connect to the machine remotely.
> Try ssh --> PC in front?, then ssh --> PC your interested in

SSH is a good option for remote control of a remote linux
machine while it is running (to allow you to shutdown, kill,
etc.)
  http://www.ssh.com/products/ssh/
  http://www.OpenSSH.com/

Controlling a remote machine at boot time (to allow LILO or
Grub control) is a bit trickier.  The most complete solution is
to get a plug-in card for the PC that provides a serial or
Ethernet connection that remotely acts like a PCs keyboard and
video display.  The low budget way is to use a serial port as
the console.
  http://mirror.nucba.ac.jp/mirror/LDP/HOWTO/Remote-Serial-Console-HOWTO/index.html

--
Jim Tittsler                                         GPG: 0x01159DB6
Kanto Computer Calendar  http://www.OnJapan.net/calendar/