Re: [tlug] Regarding intolerance

On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 12:21:13PM +0900, Shaw wrote:

> Norman, as others did, assumed that I was flaming when I said:
>
> "Does it blow anybody else's mind that there are people out
>  there using Linux who don't know what the command line is?"
>
> But as I explained later, what blew my mind was *not* "the
> stupidity of newbies" but "how far Linux desktop technology
> has progressed."

To interject and say something nice :)

It's almost ironic that Ryan is the one mentioning that.  I remember
when I first began with Linux, I guess in the late nineties, and at that
time, looked at Mr. Oda's Japanese howto.  I thought, wow, this seems
really difficult.  (As a matter of fact, Jonathan, who was listmaster or
something at the time, anyway, the one who communicated with newcomers,
told me then not to worry, that many newcomers would find that
intimidating.)

So, nowadays, in Gentoo Linux, to get Japanse functionality, I just have
to type two words
emerge kinput2

And ~that~ is thanks to Ryan, who created the ebuild for Gentoo.  Ok, I
also have to type a few more things (installing mlterm which is my
terminal of choice for Japanese input [thanks Jack] :) )

Anyway, as Ryan says, yes, Linux has come a long way--in part, due to
the efforts of people like him.

Ok, I'm done with my Pollyanna act now.

Scott from NY