Re: [tlug] characterset in gnus

["Stephen J. Turnbull" (Re: [tlug] characterset in gnus) writes:]
>>     Luke> Mr Turnbull's contribution below seems unnecessarily
>>     Luke> condescending and would not have been missed if he had
>>     Luke> decided not to send it.
>>
>> OK, don't miss it, then.
>>
>> Those of you who need me know where to find me.  It's been nice.

Did Stephen really depart? Or is he just lurking?

His posting and the subsequent reaction reminds me a little of a
scene in Monteverdi's "L'incoronazione di Poppea" where Seneca (the
philosopher) has been ordered to kill himself by Nero (his former pupil).
Seneca[1] is getting ready to cut his wrists, and is surrounded by his
current pupils pleading with him to stay. The chorus "Non morir, Seneca"
is one of the best in the opera.

So "Non partir, Stephano" (just in case you *are* lurking.)

Jim

[1] Seneca's brother is mentioned in the Acts of the Apostles, a point even
more irrelevant than the anecdote above.

--
Jim Breen  (j.breen@example.com  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/)
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 3298