Re: [tlug] characterset in gnus

Acutely aware of the fact that I am one of the people who stands to
lose the most in the departure of such people as Jonathan and Stephen
from TLUG, I can't sit by without at least making an attempt at
salvaging the situation.

I think the circumstances that are causing this frustration are
clear. Linux is gaining in popularity, and TLUG is an eminently solid
forum, being populated as it is by such a wide range of IT
professionals. Thus it is an attractive place to be for learning about
Linux.

The core members of TLUG--the ones who are capable of offering
solutions, would like to see a healthy measure of discipline on the
part of discussants, so that the list does not become tiresome, and
ultimately useless. In this vein, they have a "culture" (as Ayako
calls it), or perhaps a "philosophy" regarding Linux (which includes
such things as the basic importance of the use of the Command Line,
etc.)

But taking the other side of the issue for a moment, it must be
admitted that it is quite difficult--maybe impossible--for a Newbie
and new TLUG member to know that such a culture/philosophy exists, or
even less, to know what it is. There is no statement of such a viewpoint on either the
web site, or in the subscription material that states "we see Linux to
be such-and-such ...;" "on TLUG queries should be posted in
such-and-such a way..." etc.

This being the case, on one hand, new members will not know what the
policies are, and on the other hand, the *kanbu* of TLUG have no
clearly stated policy for warning people or kicking them off if they are too much out of line.

It is perfectly reasonable for a large and successful mail list to
have a clear philosophy and policy, and I would suggest that TLUG has
reached the point where it is has become essential for the survival of
the list as we know it. For now we have a situation where the
founders and most important people will be leaving. This is too bad
for the rest of us, but it is too bad for them, as well. They should
not have to leave *their list*.

As I mentioned in my prior message, I solved my problems with my own mail
list by being selective about membership, but also by STATING A CLEAR POLICY, both on
the web site and in the initial subcription message. If you want to
see what I mean please go to the page and look at the opening
statement. Then try to subscribe, and see what kind of message you
get. It lays everything out very clearly.

http://www2.h-net.msu.edu/~buddhism

The experts can leave the TLUG, and even start their own list (a
cabal?). But I believe that no matter how you do it, if you want to
be involved with a good, successful list, you will eventually have to
create a clear policy, one way or the other.

Chuck

Charles Muller  <acmuller@example.com>
Faculty of Humanities,  Toyo Gakuen University
Digital Dictionary of Buddhism and CJKV-English Dictionary
[http://www.acmuller.net]
Mobile Phone: 090-9310-1787