Re: [tlug] bad screen setting

On 7/18/2002, "Martin Arballo" <martinarballo@example.com> wrote:

>I solved this problem but I have a different one, a message that says TIME
OUT FOR CONNECTION, and I suddenly can not see any internet page.  I did not
find out yet how can I solve this,
>someone to help me with this, please!!!!

Umm, the first thing to check for is that you are actually online.
If you can't reach *any* site, that's the most likely cause.

However, your message was about as vague as possible, so it could
be any number of things.

Do you connect to the Internet through a dialup connection or something else,
like cable, dsl, or a leased line (all of which will look like a LAN
connection from your point of view).

If you are on a LAN connection, make sure your ethernet cable is good, it's
plugged in, and your eth0 (assuming you have just one ethernet card) is up.
You can find out by typing /sbin/ifconfig.

If you are using a hub, do you have a linklight on the hub and on your
ethernet card?  If you're plugged right into a cable or DSL modem, does it
have a linklight lit (assuming it has linklights on the ether ports)?

If you are in fact connected to the Internet, try connecting to
a site by its IP address.  If you don't have one handy, this is one of the
ones for www.yahoo.com: 66.218.71.88.  If you
can't open that in your browser, try pinging it.  If you can't ping it
either, check your Internet connection again.

If you can ping it, check /etc/resolv.conf and make sure your nameserver info
is present and correct.

If you can't reach outside, try to reach any other computer on your LAN, if
you are on a LAN.  If you are on a LAN but yours
is the only computer on it, try pinging your router.  If you can
ping your router, try traceroute to that Yahoo IP address and see how far the
route goes before it runs out.

Some, none, or all of this might help. A very vague post is very difficult to
advise.  You can help people to help you by providing as much detail about
the problem as possible.

HTH,

Jonathan