Re: [tlug] DNS servers down?

Stephen J. Turnbull (stephen@example.com) wrote:

> JEEzus JonaTHAN, have you ever looked at that page on a decent
> monitor?  I had to Ctrl-Alt-MINUS TWICE!

Looks OK on my 19" Eizo at 1600 z 1200 (OK doesn't mean it's pretty - it's
not - but it's readable).

> But it looks like I can get service.  NTT alleges you do B-Flets, but
> I don't see it on your page ... 100Mbps would make me the fastest kid
> on the block.  ;-)

B'Flets is coming soon.  Fixed-IP option is also coming soon.
I don't have a specific date and wouldn't be authorized to
release it if I did, but Soon.

B'Flets will proably come before fixed IP, so it will be
initially dynamic, but I don't expect fixed-IP to be
too far behind the B'Flets start.

> You're right about the leased line rates.  They seem kind of insane
> given the amount of bandwidth you can (supposedly) get from ADSL or
> fiber.  I assume that's a commentary on the congestion and overall QoS
> you get from NTT?

Partly, but leased lines also carry better service with them
if there is a problem.  If a DSL line is down, too bad.  They'll
get to it at the same priority as any other phone line.  If a
leased line is down, you can typically expect same-day service.
Failures aren't common, of course (somebody does a fine job of
keeping backhoes under control in this country), but if your business
really depends on connectivity, you want it fixed Really Fast
if there is a line outage.

But if I had to choose between the price of an ISDN leased line
and the price of DSL or B'Flets with dial-backup or a second
DSL line as backup (doesn't protect you from backhoes, but
does from hardware failure), I'd take my chances with the DSL.
Unless I needed a really big leased line :-)