Re: [tlug] new distro howto

On Friday 12 July 2002 23:46, Martin Baehr wrote:

> > If someone make a new distro, have to register it in some place or only
> > have to register the name as a company or association?
>
> there is no such thing.
> just go ahead and publish the distro.

But if someone like the name and want to do a distro with the same name,
he/she can do it isn't it? How could I do, that my distro will be the only
with that name?

> the more interesting question is:
> given that there are an uncountable number of distributions out there
> already, what makes yours different from the others?

We are just 3 linux entusiastic, we study computer science and we don't have a
lot of experience. I think we will take a lot of time to do it and we don't
have so many time as we want to dedicate to it, but I'm sure it will be a
good experience. The objective of this distro is to try to catch more people
from the M$ world. We don't want to make a windows like linux distro because
"if I use windows, why I will change to a linux distro that is almost the
same as windows and all my win software will not work and my data will not be
compatible with it?"
I was an hard windows user. I really thought M$ was a great company but after
I discovered that it only is a big company but it's not great!

Why I changed to linux?
1. It seems to me more interesting. It has a lot of things to explore and to
learn.
2. It is free and the source code is available.
3. I can configure it in any way I want and I really feel that I have the
control of my system.
4. I feel more secure, because I thought that if the source code is free no
body can program a back door.
5. And the more importan think is that I love computers, I'm an otaku and with
linux I can do the same things I did with my old and fantastic Commodore 64!
:-) I feel that I'm inside my computer and that I can control it.

The common people don't worry abut how the box works inside. They only want it
works, it is cheap, it's nice. But if they know that the OS they use, is no
cheap but free, not nice but can be whatever they want, not only work but it
will work very well. I think that they would be interessed about it.

The idea is to make a distro not too different from others. The more important
things for this distro are:

1. Easy installation, but with an expert option for otaku.
2. It will have few software Only the neccessary to work with X and internet
and some editors. A lot of software will confuse a newbe.
3. Default tools for an easy management of rpm and deb packages.
4. All the best tools to automatically detect and configure hardware.
5. Maybe debian based :)
6. Help a lot of help, but not as technical manuals for otaku. Help for the
common user that come from the M$ world and he/she is use to see the computer
as a video, as a console or as that machines that exist in some turist
information box that give determinate services :-P

Anyway it can be very funny for my friends and me to make a distro :)

Pietro