Re: [tlug] soundcard/cardmgr/kernel problems

Can't help you with any of your other questions, but this sounds familiar:

Michael Engel wrote:

> There are some problems with the sound card (ES1879PnP Audiodrive ESS).

Try 'dmesg' to determine if the module is being loaded at all, and if yes,
which IRQ and DMA channels are being used. In my case, the driver conflicted
with the BIOS settings. I haven't figured out how to change the parameters
for the driver, so I changed the BIOS from IRQ 5 to 7. Maybe that's a very
ugly way to do it, but the problems are gone.

> kernelmodule snd-es18xx could not be loaden,

Do you need ALSA to get sound at all? If you have to install manually
anyway, perhaps you can try without it? ES1878, the chip on my board, uses
the Soundblaster driver, and apparently there's not much of a difference to
ES1879. A simple 'modprobe sb' made me very happy, xmms plays streamed music
all day (thanks, Sajjad...). But then again I don't have the faintest idea
about Suse, so this may all be terribly wrong.

Cheers
Ulrich Plate